Agua fresca is enjoyed all over Mexico- and this easy to make hibiscus agua fresca (also known as ‘agua Jamaica’ in Mexico) will be popular with both kids and adults! With a taste similar to pomegranate and cranberry, it’s a welcome drink on a hot day.
To make this thirst quencher:
- Add 50g of hibiscus flowers to 1.5 litres of boiling water (you might like to experiment with adding spices or citrus peel for extra depth of flavour. In Jamaica, ginger is added to hibiscus tea.)
- Stir in 125-150g of sugar to your desired taste. Keep stirring until all sugar is dissolved.
- Cover and put in the fridge overnight or until chilled.
- Sieve the mixture to remove the flowers. These can be used as a garnish if you wish.
- Add the mixture to glasses, topping up with water- sparkling water is particularly lovely. If you’re after a cocktail, a slug of rum will do the job perfectly.